Invited by Hunan Performance Group, WES Choir performed at Jieni WAN Piano Recital on August 24th, 2019 in Hunan Concert Hall. As one of the four choirs selected from Changsha City, WES Choir has been given the center stage to shine. Our music teacher and lead teacher of WES Choir, Ms. Clarissa, assumed the role of Conductor of the Joint Choir. Working in harmony, the children and teachers gave a great performance to the audience.
This was the first piano recital of Jieni WAN in China. Embracing the theme “Impression of China from Musicians of East and West”, Jieni selected many masterpieces to illustrate the integration of different cultures in music. Changsha WES Academy as the first and only international school in Hunan, with its students and teachers coming from more than 20 countries and regions, meet here in China with different cultural background and integrated in harmony with the rich Chinese Culture. This happened to coincide well with the idea of Jieni’s concert.
At WES, music, arts and sports lessons are equally valued as other subjects. Balanced is an important attribute for IB learners to achieve personal well-being for themselves and others. What students are learning through music, sports and arts will greatly enhance their understanding and achievement in other subjects.
Let’s get to know our specialist teachers!
The Music Department brings together music professionals from around the world:
- Ms. Clarissa Soto comes from the United States. As the director of WES Choir, she likes to focus on the continued growth of students and the development of music program.
- Mr. Markus Bauer is from Austria. He has rich experience in teaching music history, music theory and singing.
- Ms. Terry Saez comes from the Philippines. Her lively teaching style is well received by the students.
- Ms. Cici Yang majored in erhu with piano and vocal minor. Her dance production has won the first prize of a dance competition. She has been awarded as Outstanding Teacher.
- Ms. Memory Chang started her studies in music since childhood. Holding a Master degree of Vocal Music Performing Arts, she succeeded in getting many of her students admitted to key universities in China.
- 来自美国的Clarissa老师， 作为学校合唱团领队教师，特别注重学生成长需求和音乐课程开发。
Now let’s meet our talented PE teachers:
- Mr. Tapas Chattopadhyay is from India. He has 18 years teaching and coaching experience. He has served Saudi Arabia National Cricket team as head coach.
- Ms. Debika Sing Chattopadhyay, certified cricket coach from Australia Association of Cricket, has more than 15 years’ teaching experience in different education systems.
- Mr. Mark John Thompson is British. He is qualified with coaching badges in football and rugby. He has experience with coaching football and a variety of sports to all ages.
- Ms. Yura Yu is qualified with high school teaching certificate. She values developing students interests and habits in sports.
- Mr. Kiin Wu majored in Aerobics with football minor. He is also a certified National Level II basketball referee. He’s passionate about sports and PE education.
Sharing a common belief in education, a group of gifted and diligent artists gather at WES:
- Mr. Mark Anthony Hudson, British, is a qualified teacher for 20 years teaching both Art & Design and Design Technology. His current work encompasses printmaking, sculpture, installation art, book arts and photography.
- Mr. Francois Pretorius comes from South Africa. He is an experienced art and design educator, practitioner, and a certified UX designer.
- Ms. Bonnie Liu has experience of working in international schools at home and abroad. She is experienced in teaching students from early years to high school and in co-teaching with expat teachers.
- Ms. Sophia Li specializes in oil painting but is also good at teaching all kinds of traditional painting. She is a member of Hunan Young Artists Association and a special painter of Wuxi Painting and Calligraphy Academy.
To better prepare our children for the real world, we should provide them with many different outlets and opportunities where they can learn and succeed. Music, arts and sports are three such streams. With the benefits they represent, they should be a mandatory part of education. Enjoy some beautiful melodies, appreciate those lovely colors, and do some exercises – they will help shape the young minds of our students!